In software coding every sign, or lack of, can make the difference between a working or non working software.
Today I installed the latest release of Joomla! Content Management System (CMS) along with a few new Extension releases, for a web site.
After the updates, I directly opened the web site for sanity check. The full web site was down... fatal error... just a page with the error message!
However, this trouble had a happy end - here is the success story steps:
- I had a log of the new releases I had implemented
- Sanity check direct after release to detect the issue
- Thanks to the error message I could search on internet and I got a hint which Extension that may have caused the issue
- In the Admin tool I disabled this extension. After this, the web site was fully functional again, except for the features from this Extension. If I enabled, the web site was down again. The trouble maker was narrowed down
- I sent a Tweet directed to the Extension developer somewhere on the earth, including the error message
- I got a Tweet back from Extension developer there now was a new release with the fix
- I went back to the Admin tool, installed the new release and enabled the Extension again
- Now the web site was fully operational again!
- I sent a confirmation Tweet to Extension developer
- Before the update, I did a back up of the web site. I didn't need to use it this time, but always good to have a backup not too far back in time
The whole work from sanity check failure to fully operational web site took less than an hour.
23 May 2017
This article is also published on LinkedIn.
Comments powered by CComment